Sunday, August 20, 2006

August 20, 2006 - Apparently I lost a bet...

because what I thought was going to be a pleasant run over the George Washington Bridge turned in to one really hard run.

The morning started at 6:00 am, Aurora and I were meeting Pia (Pia if this is not how to spell your name I apologize) at 8:00 on the F-Train.

That gives us a good two hours to:
CAFFEINATE

Little did I know how much I'd need the caffeine for what I was about to undertake.


GET DRESSED



It never ceases to amaze how long it can take to get dressed. I mean really, all I have are maybe a half dozen articles of clothing to put on.


And naturally after drinking coffee and some water it's important to use the toilet. After all:









We meet Pia on the platform a little after 8:00 am. The subway ride turns out to be one hour exactly. We take the F-Train to the A Train all the way from Brooklyn to 178th Street in Manhattan. That's a long ride. I was worn out just from being on the train.

Our meeting spot is on the south side of the bridge, but lo and behold the south entrance is closed. Dodging traffic the team (that's about 100 people), make their way to the north entrance.

In order to get on the bridge we had to climb a series of stairs worthy of MC Escher. Once up on the bridge we run single file for a good fifty yards. We had to there was no other room.


As we run along I can see the tops of buildings and trees. I realize that my intense fear of open air heights has not eased as I've gotten older. In fact it's worse. I did manage to calm down a bit when I got to the center of the bridge, and just to my left I could lean over and smack a passing car.

On the other side of the bridge after navigating another labyrinth of steps , we were finally on terra firma. Terra firma being a narrow sidewalk along a busy street. A short jog along this busy street crossing once then crossing back over and we were in Palisades Interstate Park.

The park drive was asphalt under a beautiful canopy of trees. The little hills started to turn into great big monster hills with no end. At one point I had to absolutely to go. Ramon, our fearless leader, Iron Man extrodinaire was following us in his SUV. I asked him about the facilities and he pointed to a fork in the road, telling us to follow the trail along the water and we'll meet up with the team. I, along with Aurora and Susanna E. took the fork in the road down to a boat launch on the Hudson River.

Bladder relieved, we started our run along the water. The terrain was a little rocky, but it was flat. It was quite nice really, the wind blowing, the water lapping just a few feet from us, very enjoyable.
The trail ended at another boat launching area and sure enough it merged with the main drive of the park where our teammates were chugging away up a steep, steep hill.

We were met at the top of the hill by Ramon. His truck had the tail gate open with bottles of water and pretzels! I took a break with a few other people, had a bottle of water and a few pretzels.

From there we kept going, and going and going. We ran down a long slow hill. The kind of hill you don't think about till you're half way down and you realize, "Oh crap! I'm gonna have to run back up this sucker."

Today's run was more about running for time rather than distance. So I manage to remain up right and moving forward for about three hours straight. Like I said it was a hard run, and I'd say with stops for water and restroom usage, I managed 10-12 miles.

After the run, Aurora, Pia and I had brunch at Santa Fe in Park Slope. After these big long runs I really crave red meat, so to satisfy that craving, I had a mack daddy of a hamburger.
Ok, I didn't eat this one, but right after running I feel like I could.

Happy trails.

JP
NIKE NEW YORK HALF MARATHON NEXT SUNDAY!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home