Saturday, September 23, 2006

Food and Exercise

Training for an endurance requires energy. Lots of it. We all know where that comes from, calories. That's a fun part about this training; I don't really have to worry about what I'm eating. Of course I don't load my self with a bunch of crap either, but I don't deny myself either as you can see.


Last night for instance, my dinner consisted of pasta with chicken sausage. I sauced the whole dish with a fresh tomato sauce (really simple and really good). So this morning I was carbo-locked and loaded for the 18 miler.

But what do you do while you're running for 3, 4 even 5 hours? An orange? A sandwich? I once saw a guy who ate a pizza while running a marathon. But these options are not practical for most of us.

The answer: SPORT GELS

Sports Gels are complex carbohydrates. Other ingredients can be: sodium, amino acids, protein, herbs and caffeine. A shot of 100 calories with a bit of caffeine does wonders to a runner.

This stuff is viscous, like honey. They come in convenient little packages not much bigger than a packet of ketchup. Not very appetizing, but it gets the job done.

Gels are not meant to be savored like a fine wine. Take this stuff like a pill, with water. To do other wise is too...well did you ever feed a dog peanut butter?


Here's where you benefit from my experience: Reviews of three flavors of a popular sport gel made by GU. I'm not a big fan of any sport gels, but GU makes some that are tolerable.


Gu Tasted: Vanilla Bean















RATING:

Notes: Aftertaste of a Snickers bar, a warm liquefied Snickers bar.

Gu Tasted Tested: Orange Burst















RATING:

Notes: Knock knock.
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?
Orange you glad you don't have to eat this everyday?

Gu Taste Tested: Tri-Berry















RATING:






Notes: Tri-Berry, try not to gag as this swallow this somewhat berry flavored gel.


Gu Taste Tested: Banana Blitz
















RATING: none

Notes: Many of you know my feelings about bananas. For those of you who don't: bananas are not meant for human consumption. I find the texture repulsive, the taste is awful, and the smell inspires me to wretch.

Oh sure some of you will tell me about the nutritional value of bananas, but come on, they're disgusting. I don't even like to be in the same room with one. One of my roommates in college (Buffalo, I'm talking about you) chased me around our apartment threatening to mash a banana in my face. My co-workers know the fastest way to get me to exit a room is to set a banana on the table.
Final thoughts: eat at your own risk and please don't consume this or any other banana flavored or banana type food in my presence.

Ok, that about wraps it up for this week. I hope this little review about sport gels was informative if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Be well,

JP

1 Comments:

Blogger Gillian said...

I'm a big fan of Chocolate Outrage and Espresso Love Gu flavours.

Love your blog - mind if I link to it? (I'm at http://ultrafineflair.blogspot.com.)

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home